David Abrahams wrote:
* on Win32, invoking cmake from inside my Visual Studio 2008 Express
command prompt window, I get
S:\xp32\build\boost-cmake>cmake .
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found. Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Using FREE VC TOOLS, NO DEBUG available
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0/VC
/bin/cl.exe
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found. Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake
failed -- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft
Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe -- broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
2.6/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:32 (MESSAGE):
The C compiler "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe"
 is not able to compile a simple test program.

 It fails with the following output:

 CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
 CMakeLists.txt:28 (project)

-- Configuring done

FWIW, I have Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition installed here (Win XP, 32 bits), and it doesn't have an RC.EXE either. Even though http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs24szh9.aspx suggests that RC.EXE is included with all editions of Visual C++ 2008.

Luckily I still had a few RC.EXE's at my disc:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\RC.Exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\rc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Tools\Bin\RC.Exe

So maybe you need to install Microsoft SDK...?

Kind regards,
--
Niels Dekker
http://www.xs4all.nl/~nd/dekkerware