David Abrahams wrote:

What we need is some concrete use cases of toolset inheritance.
Well, to begin with, it's possible to have some common.jam, with

toolset.flags common.compile DEFINES <define> ;

then gcc.jam would say

tolset.inherit-flags common ;

to reuse the first flags declaration. Looking at the V1 cwpro8-tools.jam, it
seems like in V2 it would contain:

toolset.inherit-flags metrowerks ;

In the second case we'd also need to inherit the rules/actions. Maybe, there should be

toolset.inherit metrowerks ;

which would bring everything (rules + actions + flags)?

Sure, that could work.

However, I don't have any idea how to make it work.  I don't know how
the actions get hooked up to targets anymore, and generators.jam
contains some (no offense, but) obscenely large functions that I'm
afraid to try analyzing.
Sure, after deciding for myself how it all should work, I might have easily
forgotten that it's nontrivial code, and undercomment it.

I suggest that you just ask everything which is not clear (maybe, even via
Jabber). I propably can try to prepare some kind of UML diagram, meanwhile.

- Volodya