> I don't know about Intel-Win32 but I brought much of this up regarding
MSVC
> 7.0+ and most everybody yawned. I am glad that some people have woken up
> the fact that there is a problem using wide characters with compilers
which
> support both the native C++ wide character and a previous typedef for
> wchar_t. A disappointing aspect of this in regards to MSVC 7.0+ is that
> there is no preprocessor macro ( as of 7.0, I haven't checked 7.1 yet )
> which MSVC defines for distinguishing native C++ wide character from the
> previous typedef for wchar_t.

Actually for real VC7 there is: _NATIVE_WCHAR_T_DEFINED (this may not be
documented for VC7 though... sigh.

> And as you have said, serious linker errors
> will occur for Boost libraries with wide character usage if they are built
> for one or the other version of wide character and the end-user sets the
> opposite version of wide character in their Makes or projects.

Sadly I don't think there is any way to solve linker problems: you just have
to ensure that you use these options consistently (like you do with any
option that affects binary compatibility).

John.