Chuck Messenger wrote:
  And so, can I assume that the following is guaranteed to
work?

    static SomeType var1;
    static AnotherType var2 = var1.something();

That is, is var1 guaranteed to be constructed before I initialize var2 from it?

Referring to TC++PL 3rd ed, I see that, indeed, statics are initialized in the order declared.

So, my suggestion to fix the non-problem doesn't make sense (besides which, the proposed solution was unsound). I'll have to (some day!) try to nail down the TSS-related bug -- perhaps it's a bug in the Boost Threads lib...

- Chuck