On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 9:19 AM, Thomas Witt wrote:

[SNIP]
To me there are basically two reasons that make newl desirable beside the formatting issue.
[SNIP]
2. IIUC the difference between a character and a manipulator is that the manipulator is not tied to the streams character type. So for some applications '\n' does not suffice. To me stream.widen('\n') is sufficiently ugly to justify a newl modifier.

Actually, that reason isn't accurate. The '\n' is an expression of type char, and all output streams can print a char object with operator <<, even if the stream's character type isn't char. (The stream will secretly call the widen member function.) Unlike using a manipulator, printing a character this way also activates all the formatting considerations.

Daryle