David Abrahams wrote:
> "Edward Diener" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> A path on windows that starts with '/' is a set
>>> of instructions which begins: "go to the root of the current
>>> directory path".
>>
>> Correction. It does not mean that. It means go to the root directory
>> of the current drive.
>
> Is the current drive not the same as the root of the current
> directory?  AFAICT, they are locked together.  IOW, I think we were
> saying the same thing.  I just wanted to additionally make it clear
> that even these paths are, in a sense, relative to the current
> directory.

In addition, DOS/Windows has multiple current directories, one per drive.

foo - relative
/foo - absolute WRT directory, relative WRT drive
c:foo - relative WRT directory, absolute WRT drive
c:/foo - absolute

I agree that it is possible to say that the first three are (partially)
relative to the "current path" (the current directory of the current drive.)