On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 10:57:16AM +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
> > It would be reasonable for one or more LUNs to be dedicated to firmware
> > which gets us out of the shared ESP scenario and the OS can do what it
> > wants with the GPT in the 'general-purpose' LUN.
>
> Actually reading the UFS spec helps a lot!  :-)
>
> https://www.jedec.org/system/files/docs/JESD220D.pdf
>
> Right, so UFS seems to support up to 128 partitions, or LUNs. It appears
> that each LUN can be treated as an separate block device. Up to 2 can be
> configured as boot LUNs (boot A and B), and one can be an RPMB. Size of
> the boot and RPMB regions is not fixed, so as much space as needed for
> firmware could be allocated.
>
> I'm going to rework the text to talk about shared storage in terms of a
> single device or LUN. If firmware is contained in a separate LUN (one of
> the boot partitions), then it is outside the scope of EBBR.

Thanks for summary!

> It would be possible for separate LUNs to be allocated for each OS
> partition, but I don't think EBBR needs to tackle that. In that scenario
> each LUN would probably still need to have a GPT partition table, (or at
> the very least the LUN containing the ESP would). Each LUN would show up
> as a separate block device in Linux (I think).

Given the "I think" here is a quick grep over the Dragonboard 820C boot
logs to confirm that... you will see most of the LUNs (those that aren't
special) being allocated their own block device:

https://gist.github.com/daniel-thompson/45275d0667bf93581703ad0dbc867a29

> I've also learned that removable UFS cards exist. If the platform
> strictly requires a UFS boot partition on the removable media, then that
> could be an issue for the firmware for multiple platforms on a single
> card use case. We could mitigate this by recommending a filesystem be
> used on the boot partition. I'm concerned about overreaching though.

We are certainly approaching aspirational with things like that ;-) .

No objections on my side but I'd like it to be very clearly separated
from level 0 requirements.

Daniel.