At 9:13 AM -0500 3/14/03, Tolkin, Steve wrote:
In Apocalyse 6 http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/03/07/apocalypse6.html
Larry Wall explains how subroutines are going to work in
Perl 6.  I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
I think this is the worst case of "second system syndrome" I
have ever seen (See Jargon file e.g. at
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/s/second-system_effect.html ) and
I quote: "When one is designing the successor to a relatively small,
elegant, and successful system, there is a tendency to become
grandiose in one's success and design an elephantine feature-laden
monstrosity."

I think the language design shows too much influence of "Evil Damian".

I want "good Damian" to work with Larry el al. to reduce the
complexity of the language.  Or (shudder) a subset of the language to
be defined.

Please advise me as to how to proceed.

Ruby and Python seem to be the standard choices.

Still... What exactly about A6 did you dislike? It's a bit big, but there's nothing in it that seemed particularly controversial or foolish to me, and I tend to get cranky with the new features.
--
Dan