Andrew Langmead wrote:
On Dec 5, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Gyepi SAM wrote:

The main disadvantage I have found is that you cannot run commands which
require real root privileges. For instance: iptables does not work and init
is really a fake init which cannot be controlled.

Thank you for pointing that out. I assumed that I would be able to use iptables on the virtual interface (to do things like prevent the machine from initiating network connections.)

I looked at tektonics.net and subsequently did some research into virtuozzo. It looks like a very slick application, and it sounded like you could do EVERYTHING including iptables.

Quoting from http://www.sw-soft.com/en/products/virtuozzo/hsp/vps/

* VPS performs and executes exactly like an isolated stand-alone

    server
  * Each VPS has its own processes, users, files and provides full root
    access.
  * Each VPS can have its own IP addresses, port numbers, tables,
    filtering and routing rules.

This says to me that any VPS provider using Virtuozzo has support for custom iptables per VPS instance. I'm seriously considering trying out tektonics.net based on the recommendation earlier in this thread. At only $15/mo for the cheapest plan, it's kind of hard to turn down.

As far as control panels, the common ones I've seen are Plesk 7 Reloaded, cPanel, and DirectAdmin. Any one have experience with these packages? BTW, you don't get a control panel with the $15/mo account at tektonics.net.

Drew