hi

( 05.02.07 16:04 -0500 ) Greg London:
> I'll buy pizza for a perlmonger meeting if I can get a
> definite yes/no answer on these questions.

> > could the site give him a tracking number / one-time password
> > so he could check the status of his order and report a problem?

yes

> > Would it be possible to do this in a secure manner?

yes [return tracking code over SSL, tracking code is probably a hash of
some order related data + nonce]

> > Would it be a secure transaction?

define 'secure'- what is your threat model?

> > Would it be any less secure than having the user
> > set up an account and their own password?

yes, more prone to spoofing since it's only one piece of info [trakcing
number] instead of 2 [username/pw].

so if you can get back to me on what you mean by 'secure transaction' we
may be in business.

--
\js     oblique strategy: you don't have to be ashamed of using your own ideas