* Sean Quinlan <sean at quinlan.org> [2005/02/28 18:12]:
> [...] But here's something you basic text
> editor doesn't give you that I think Eclipse does. Function jumping (or
> whatever it's called). I'd _LOVE_ to be able to click (or highlight and
> meta-somthing, whatever) on a function or method call and have the
> editor skip directly to it's definition - even if it is from another
> module and had to go find it!

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but that's exactly what ctags
(and etags) does.  Exuberant ctags[0] is a popular implementation, and
has this to say for itself:

  Ctags generates an index (or tag) file of language objects found in
  source files that allows these items to be quickly and easily
  located by a text editor or other utility. A tag signifies a
  language object for which an index entry is available (or,
  alternatively, the index entry created for that object).

TAGS files are supported by (at the very least) emacs and various
flavors of vi, and have been around for a long time.

(darren)

[0] <http://ctags.sourceforge.net/>

--
I'd crawl over an acre of 'Visual This++' and 'Integrated Development
That' to get to gcc, Emacs, and gdb.