>Can someone remind me why Perl needs to be more popular?  What actual
>problem will be solved?  Are we running low on module developers?  Running
>low on core developers?  Is the existing code-base evaporating?  Are there
>not enough t-shirt and book sales?  How will we know when Perl is popular
>enough?  Wouldn't it be easier to just trash the reputations of other
>languages?  Should we have existing Perl users use Perl more often?

I think your target audience is a little skewed from the original threads
purpose.  I don't recall anyone claiming
that their are not enough programmers.  I believe the problem was not enough
unknowledgable, perl-accepting decision
makers.

It doesn't need to be more popular though.  Nor does it need to be accepted by
non-technical decision makers.  These
are not necessities.  I just really liked programming in Perl for all those
years, but since having a job means more
to me than being able to choose which language I use in my job, I am now a C#
programmer.  This because perl was not
popular enough to be supported by my non-technical and technical managers.  I'm
not complaining about learning a new
language, I just really liked perl.  It's almost like being laid off from a
corporation because not enough customers
wanted to purchase their product.  So it is that I am no longer a "perl"
programmer (defined by the language I use 50
hours a week as opposed to the language I use 5 hours a week on side projects).
 I am confident that, had perl more
acceptance by those not in the know, the decision would have been made
differently.  And it's like they had to choose
between the two languages as all of our legacy code is written in perl.  Almost
everything in-house is.  It still did
not prevent them from deciding that Perl was not supported enough to continue
using it.

>How will we know when Perl is popular enough?

Oooh.. this ones easy.  When my boss comes to me and says "use Perl for this
next project".  I wouldn't ask for more
perl popularity than that.

I hope I made the problem at hand more clear.

-John