> Surprisingly Active State maintains a Perl distribution for (RedHat)
> Linux (or at least they did), and I believe a repository of PPMs as
well.

And also Solaris and IBM AIX.  I think the Linux Perl build and PPMs are
likely to run on any reasonably normal Intel Linux, but not sure -- with
the ActiveState Perl for that OS of course.

Reminder - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MIX a perl binary with an XS module built
against a different compiler and perl binary!

Much of CPAN is available in Debian .DEB's (What APT has instead of
RPMs)
already, binary built to match the Perl binary, for a wide variety of
Architectures.  Does RH RPM do the same? I haven't looked.

> Probably something that could be piggybacked upon or an extension of
the
> cpan-testers system that's already in place. ...

Yes, the Phalanx-100 will be providing a Bundle to their testers at
least of the CPAN Top 100 and their dependencies. I don't think it's
ready yet?

> On a related note, a colleague recently asked if there was a tool
> available to help automate the installation of a Perl program and its
> corresponding modules on a target system (which could be Linux or
> Windows), while requiring minimal user knowledge or intervention.
> (could even use PAR to package it up ...

Outside of Debian dh-make-perl + .DEB's and PAR and the ActiveState
EXE-maker and CPANPLUS?

More news on such would be of interest ...

Bill
Not speaking for the firm