Sorry, I can't give you a reference.  It is something I first learned from
an Oracle consultant back in '87 and have since embraced and extended to
many different environments - including Perl.  That said, most 4GL tools
worthy of the label implement this idiom.  Think PowerBuilder, et al.

Another way to look at it is "data dictionary driven development".  If, in
your data model, you have enumerated types, then it makes sense to provide
flexibility in defining the value domain of those types.  Moreover, just as
we have UI tools for currency, numeric, date and time values, it makes
sense to support enumerated types as well.  Nothing dramatic here.

Naive implementations of enumerated types tend to give each domain its own
unique table and database constraints, model and view classes, etc.,
etc.  This is just overkill.  By stepping up one level of metadata, you can
treat enumerated types in a much more general way.

Of course, as usual, Uri is right.  There is no magic bullet for hiding
complexity.  But that isn't really what this technique is about.  Rather,
by simply dealing with enumerated types as such, it reduces the complexity
without making the code look like an interpreter.