Uri Guttman wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i mentioned this a while ago but now it has become an emergency. the
> illustrious founder of the perl mongers, david adler and his world
> travelling mom are going to be in town on this sunday. they have a day
> in port (the poor things are on a cruise to canada from new york!) and
> would like to meet up with a bunch of mongers. i have proposed to dave
> we do dim sum for brunch on sunday. i have offered two main options -
> chinatown at chau chow city (or maybe jumbo seafood) or at shangrila, a
> great small place in belmont near the cambridge border. here are the
> points for each:
>
> chau chow city is enormous with cart service. great food, good prices
> (doubtful it will be more than $15/pp) but they don't do reservations
> and the wait for a table could be a while on sunday. it is also closer
> to dave as they will be docking in boston (likely the piers in southie).
>
> shangrila is small with only menu service for dim sum. we have done well
> by ordering stuff we know and also asking what is being served to
> others. (yum, that looks good, let's get one! :) i think they might be
> better than the chinatown places and they are one of those places where
> there are more chinese customers than others. the wait should be shorter
> but no guarantees. also travel for dave and mom will be trickier. if
> someone is up for giving them a lift here it would be great (could be
> me!). they will cab otherwise which could be pricy all the way to
> belmont.
>
> i am aiming for a noon meal so we would need to gather at either place
> by say 11:30.
>
> so pipe up and let us know if you want to join us and what your thoughts
> are on these two choices. either place will be fun and tasty and a
> change if you have not done dim sum in a while (or ever! :).

If we're going to have lots of people who would be driving to dim sum
rather than T-ing, I'll offer another option: the new Dorchester branch
of Chau Chow City. Cart service just like in Chinatown, good food, lots
of Chinese customers, and you can park. No reservations, but they move
people quickly, and I don't think the wait ever gets very long. A bit of
a hike from the T, though; we'd have to arrange shuttle service for
people coming that way.

I'd be willing to get a few people from the T at JFK/UMass if we do this.