Thanks Jerrad,

I actually tried lynx first.  However, the html files are on a server
that needs authentication.  Even adding
-auth my-user-id:my-pw
To lynx was not enough.

Here is the lynx output (I added the # as these are comments in the perl
program):

# Looking up [my proxy]
# Making HTTP connection to [my proxy]
# Sending HTTP request.
# HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
# Alert!: Invalid header 'WWW-Authenticate: NTLM'
# Alert!: Can't retry with authorization!  Contact the server's
WebMaster.
# Can't Access [the url I wanted]
# Alert!: Unable to access document.
#
# lynx: Can't access startfile

I am not sure what I really need to do.  I looked at the headers using
Mozilla Firefox add-on and decided that generating the proper values for
WWW-Authenticate was too complex for lynx, and for Mechanize too.   But
maybe I am missing something.

Steve