Charlton Wilbur wrote:
> This is all true, but I'd say, rather than condemning IDEs, that the
> quality of the end result is independent of the quality of the tools,
> but the overall pain is likely to be less with better tools.

I agree with David -- I think the entire Perl ecosystem has been
structured in such a way that the shell + editor + cpan approach just
fits perfectly.  I've never felt anything really "painful" in Perl
development, certainly nothing an IDE would fix.  With Java however I
will slowly go insane trying to edit, build and manage even a fairly
small project with those simple tools.  A good Java IDE (read: Eclipse)
certainly mitigates a lot of that insanity.

Also, on print vs debugger in perl: I use a little trick to get "visual
breakpoint" behavior from any editor.  Just set $DB::single=1 wherever
you want a breakpoint (you still have to run with perl -d of course).
You can even do it conditionally: $DB::single=1 if $foo >= 42;

  -- Jeremy