From: "Ben Tilly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:18:57 -0700

   On 9/11/07, Palit, Nilanjan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   [...]
   > > It is very bad form to use map as a looping construct.
   >
   > Can you elaborate why it is a bad form: readability, performance, ...?
   > Just want to understand the underlying reason. (To me, both the for &
   > map inline forms appear to be the same readability & performance wise.)

   Readability is the big difference . . .

   . . . Furthermore you're demanding
   more from your readers than you need to.  Anyone who speaks English
   (or who knows a couple of computer languages) can guess what a for
   loop does.  But only people who know Perl will understand what map
   does.

Am I reading this right?  Are you actually defending the lowest common
denominator of language design?  The paragraph above seems tantamount to
saying,

        Perl has some nice functional programming features, but don't
        use them, because you might confuse people who only know
        stupider languages.

I agree with most of your points, and think they are sufficient to carry
the argument.  This point does not help your case, and would be
counterproductive in situations where "map" would be the better choice.

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/