Thanks all.

As it turns out this whole problem is caused by interfering JS.
I was not originally told of this, but the testing page had other JS
calls on it.
Once they were removed, this JS worked fine.
Don't know how that would make this break, and how my fix would fix it.
But at least we know that the problem is not directly with my code.

Thanks for all the help.

--Alex