If you restrict your 'no strict' to a very small block, it's really no
problem at all.  Best practice is to apply it to the smallest possible
block possible.  This would be even better than what I initially wrote:

  foreach ... {
    # "setup" code here
    {
      no strict 'refs';
      $$varname = <simple expression>;
    }
  }

"simple expression" is ideally a single variable whose value you
initialize in the "setup" code.  Minimal code under 'no strict' means
fewer possible errors.

 -- Jeremy