Federico Lucifredi wrote:
Anyone has a good recommendation for a home security system that is friendly to getting poked around by enterprising geeks?

No, but I looked into this last Summer.

The security industry is one of those stogy industries resisting modern advances, like Internet communications, in part for justifiable reasons of reliability, but also probably because they have a vested interest in their current solutions that require both more costly hardware and monitoring services.

If you're just looking for a bit of security functionality tacked on to a home automation platform, there are options, but the reliability won't be the same, and the ability to work with a UL listed monitoring service won't be there (which may be relevant if you are seeking an insurance discount).

I did run across a few hacker projects for monitoring pro alarm equipment with your own gear, such as a project that lets an Asterisk software PBX receive "Contact ID" format alarm notification messages.

http://www.markturner.net/2008/04/01/monitoring-alarm-panels-with-asterisk/
http://www.shaneyoung.com/asterisk/alarmreceiver/
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+AlarmReceiver

(Asterisk does make use of Perl.)

At least one pro monitoring service company has hacked the Linksys PAP2T VoIP interface so that it receives Contact ID signals and retransmits them digitally over the net to their monitoring computers:
https://nextalarm.com/services.jsp

It isn't clear whether they did this with cooperation of Linksys or by modifying GPL code (I don't recall if the PAP2T uses GPL code), but they don't make any code available. I tried asking them whether their PAP2T could be reprogrammed to contact my server instead of theirs if I wanted, and got no reply.

This approach also provides no remote control capabilities of the panel, which you can get from a few panels that offer specialized network interfaces. The "Contact ID" protocol (essentially DTMF tones) is pretty antiquated, and really any modern alarm panel ought to have an Ethernet jack and use a more modern protocol (for which there isn't a standard, as far as I know), but only a few panels have a high-cost add-on network interface available.

There's potentially a market for a Linux-based alarm panel that uses wireless sensors from one of the major manufacturers (GE for example), includes a modem for backwards compatibility with old style monitoring services, as well as an Ethernet jack and support for one or more modern TCP-based communication protocols for notifications and interactive control.

Try posting your question to alt.security.alarms. The regulars there were moderately helpful, though being in the industry, you'll typically get recommendations to stay away from any technologies that stray from the traditional.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA