Bill Ricker contacted me to suggest that I let you know that O'Reilly is about
to release a book on Git. For your viewing pleasure, here is a draft that has
gone through a copy-edit but needs to be proofed by the author (so there may be
small errors still):

  ftp://ftp.oreilly.com/outgoing/Version_Control_with_Git.zip.

I didn't mention this on these lists before because it's a proprietary book, it
hasn't been released yet (except on O'Reilly's RoughCuts) and I didn't want to
seem to be using these mailing lists for advertising. But Bill's suggestion
gave me the chutzpa to post this.

If you want to share this draft with colleagues, do so. Just don't post it in
lots of public places, please. (I know; these lists are public already.) The
server will automatically delete the draft in about a week--and after all, the
book is still being checked for errors.

I do believe that this book goes into more depth than existing books and online
tutorials--not by covering every damn feature in Git and its add-ons, but in
explaining the complex underlying concepts.

We can't make changes at this late date, but I can collect ideas for the next
edition. (Bill gave me a couple.) Naturally, if you'd like to offer an
endorsement for our web site, write a (hopefully favorable) review for
Amazon.com, or just mention the book in blogs and at conferences, I'd love it.