On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 02:53:25AM -0400, Andrew Langmead wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 13:37 -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
> > I've been packaging perl modules as RPMs.[...] Now, my environment has
> > changed.  The host I'm now packaging on
> > runs perl 5.10, but the target Linux host has 5.8.8 installed.
> >

> I can think of a couple of things:
>
> The command
> "cpan2rpm  --make-maker='INSTALLSITELIB=???/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8'"
> seems to work for me for Perl modules built with MakeMaker, but not
> Module::Build. (just as the docs warn.)

I had, in fact tried this, but failed: a frustrating attribute of
my build environment is it's under Cygwin, and the above method
yeilds pathnames that are too long for the environment.

(For reasons I don't want to go into: I have to create a set of
RPMs for a RHEL5 server, and my build environment used to as well
be RHEL5-based, but now I've been directed into this alternate
universe.)

> You could get a copy of your target environment to build on. Virtual
> Machines are cheap to setup copy around and destroy.

I have tons of physical hardware on hand as well.  I've been told
to constrain myself to Cygwin.  I'll not introduce any rants about
Cygwin here.

> In some situations, the option others have suggested of supplying your
> own perl and not depending on the system perl is a good one.

If I had my call, we'd be rolling our own distro, a la CentOS, and
make all of these, and so many others, go away.

But it's not my call...

My workaround; alter my spec file to rename the directories.  It's
a hack I don't like, but it gets me over this current hump...

I appreciate all of the feedback on this thread; thanks...

--
Brian Reichert                          <reich...@numachi.com>
55 Crystal Ave. #286                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842