>>>>> "r" == rogers-pm5  <rogers-...@rgrjr.dyndns.org> writes:

  r>    From: "Uri Guttman" <u...@stemsystems.com>
  r>    Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:15:17 -0400

  r>    actually the <= part is even more amusing. look here:

  r>    perl -le '$#foo = -2 ; print $#foo'
  r>    -1
  r> ;
  r>    you can't set the last index to < -1. which makes sense. which makes the
  r>    original code even dumber.

  r>    uri

  r> There is a school of thought that you should always use "<=" when
  r> testing an index against a lower bound, and ">= when testing against an
  r> upper bound, instead of strict equality.  The idea is to guard against
  r> unbounded loops when a later mod to the code makes it possible to bump
  r> the index by 2.  But this isn't a loop, "-1" is a hopelessly
  r> counterintuitive thing to compare to a length or index, and (as you
  r> point out) "#$foo" can't return anything smaller anyway.

i have known that bound checking rule and i think i used it when i did
lots of c. i have stopped using it mostly since i never need to do
bounds checking in perl! :)

  r>    So I'll put my money on "ignorant."  (Without totally discounting
  r> "evil".)

with some coders, those are equivilent! :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  u...@stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --
-----  Perl Code Review , Architecture, Development, Training, Support ------