For hosting personal photo/video albums on the web there are various options
out there like Google Picasa and the like. However, I would like to build my
own web photo albums to post them on my own web site. I know that I can link to
Picasa web albums from my site but that's not what I'm looking for. (Why? Part
of it just for the learning and part of it is a bit of reticence [maybe even
unjustified paranoia] of putting too much information in the hands [or
datawarehouses] of a few giant web companies that can mine all sorts of
personal information from my personal data. For example, someone figured out
where one of the Mythbuster shows' main characters live by simply looking up
the geotags embedded in some pictures of his backyard that he posted to his own
Facebook page. I know I can strip the tags ...)

I can think of scripting it up in Perl using, say ImageMagick to create
thumbnails, etc. and building html indexes from simple text-based inputs. But
then I thought that somebody else has most likely already done that. So I'm
looking for suggestions and/or comments good/bad for any scriptable web-based
photo album development tools.

Thanks,

-Nilanjan