On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:26:52 -0500 "James Eshelman" <ja...@nova-sw.com> wrote:

JE> Thanks Drew.  It's good to hear that there's no noticeable RT penalty after
JE> startup, and the roles feature looks especially nice, along with the
JE> compatibility with Perl 6.   -- Jim

There's a very noticeable penalty if you instantiate lots of objects.  I
couldn't use Moose for a database loader, for instance, and had to fall
back to simple hashes.  The speed difference was (for my specific case,
which had lots of small objects) between 2 and 200 times slower with
Moose, depending on other factors like hitting swap because the memory
usage spiked.  This is not surprising considering all that Moose does.

I am a big fan of Moose and use it whenever I can, but only if I expect
relatively few objects to be created and managed.  Otherwise I would at
least benchmark the performance and consider how the objects are going
to be used.

Ted