I've generally had luck with threads in Perl 5.10 and beyond, though if
you're sharing variables containing large amounts of data they can be
inefficient.  Storing your data in Redis is often handy and fast, and
Redis::List works nicely as a queuing system, even if you use threads.

Hope that helps,
Tony Caravello