here are some good links about larry's talk and the (soonish) perl6 release.

uri

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: Launch of new Perl 6 homepage
Date:   Wed, 7 Oct 2015 11:12:42 +0100
From:   Steve Mynott <steve.myn...@gmail.com>
To:     london...@groups.perlists.pm

Following Larry's introduction to Perl 6 sponsored by craigslist and
hosted at the San Francisco Exploratorium (renamed by one twitter wit
as the RegExploratorium) there is much buzz on social media, so maybe
we are better at marketing than we thought!  The talk has apparently
been videoed and will become available.

One number post on hackernews this morning was

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10341832

and most surprisingly most of the comments seem intelligent and
sensible!  There are reddit comments as well which are less
interesting.

It's probably also worth reading slashdot at +5 once a few more
comments are added to

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/15/10/06/217239/larry-wall-unveils-perl-600

Blog posts at

http://www.pigdog.org/auto/software_jihad/link/3138.html

http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2015/10/06/the-night-larry-wall-unveiled-perl-6/

These are generally accurate but note git perl 6 is still in beta
(a.k.a "birthday") so the "6.0.0 released" stuff isn't accurate.

% perl6 -e 'say $*PERL.version'
v6.Birthday

I'd expect the Oct 22nd to be the first beta release with the second
beta the following month with the "Christmas" release following.

https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/blob/nom/docs/release_guide.pod

The casual user probably would want the "Rakudo Star" form a few days
later or "panda install Task::Star" if they wish to roll their own and
help bug fix.