*Since we’re having speakers from the UK the next two months, we’ll be
starting 6:30pm ET so that we’re at least starting on Tuesday for them.
(I'll be online for mike check etc before that)*
Tuesday, February 14th 💘 , 6:30 PM 🇺🇸 Boston PM: match::smart,
match::simple - Toby Inkster (live)

With P5P actively moving forward from deprecation to Warning and eventual
removal of the v5.10 SmartMatch ~~ operator – for good reason, it was
underspecified, nondeterministic, and outright dangerious – there’s a
question for those who found a subset of its capabilities useful. Prolific
module author Toby Inkster <https://metacpan.org/author/TOBYINK> provides a
safe, deterministic subset of smart-match in match-simple
<https://metacpan.org/dist/match-simple> distribution which provides
match::simple <https://metacpan.org/pod/match::simple> and match::smart
<https://metacpan.org/pod/match::smart> with optional XS accelerator
<https://metacpan.org/dist/match-simple-XS>.

(*with apologies to anyone who has other plans that 💘 evening. this is the
risk of 2d Tuesday scheduling.*)

This is a JitSi meeting. The secure URL will be computed by this command
(valid only during that week):

perl -MDigest::SHA=sha1_hex -MPOSIX=strftime -le 'print strftime
"%Y/%m/%d week %U", localtime; $date=strftime "Y%Y W%U", localtime;
print $date; print
"https://meet.jit.si/BostonPM-".substr(sha1_hex("BostonPM".$date),0,12);'

(and will likely be posted here just in time, but to avoid spammers, won’t
be posted on public social media)

(See Boilerplate <https://boston-pm.github.io/index.html/#boilerplate>
below for additional how-to etc.)
*Coming Attractions*Perl 5.38 will have a new OO in Core.
BostonPM on 3.14 πday will have live Q&A with team leader.
BACKUP TOPICS

   - Using MP3::Tag Syntax::Keyword::Try etc to make playable audio
   archives with legible titles (PerlHack/audio/mp3info.pl)
   - ??

BoilerPlate

   - Meetings hosted by Boston.PM are in meet.Jit.si and on 2d Tuesday.
   (See webpage BoilerPlate <https://boston-pm.github.io/#boilerplate>
   section for Jitsi Notes)
   - Meetings hosted by Charlotte.PM <https://www.meetup.com/charlotte-pm/>
   are in Zoom and on Last Wednesdays.
   - Meetings hosted by Boston Linux Unix (http://blu.org) are in Jitsi and
   on 3d Wednesday.

(*If you need to hear my rant about why Zoom’s “fixes” are inadequate, ask
me off-list. Or watch my BLU Cryptology History & News annual report for
the last decade.*)

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1...@gmail.com