To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Jörg Weber wrote:
> I can second that, from a not-associated-with-anyone-POV. I get many, many
> slightly mutated versions of the same bot every day, on average one new
> version a day, on a very small honeynet. More often than not, AV fails to
> detect these mods. I obviously don't reach 15k/month, but in this case size
> does matter.
>
> Seen that these mutations could be simply mailed around, too, and AV wouldn't
> detect them either, makes counting them as unique, new, bots a valid POV,
> methinks.

Indeed. You should note though that the bad guys have the advantage of
being able to test their creations against the anti viruses before
release.. which is kind of an issue.

The AV is not any type of perfect solution for a long time now. It plays a
critical part in the fight, but it is far behind being just
"reactive". Indeed.