FYI

Dear Friends,

I am writing to you to seek your assistance in an upcoming book 
project.  As you may know, I have been compiling an anthology of birth 
stories that highlight the value of one-to-one midwifery care.  After a 
considerable gestation time, the book, Having a Great Birth in 
Australia will be published in July 2005 (see 
http://www.acmi.org.au/greatbirth for more information), by the 
Australian College of Midwives on behalf of the College and the 
Maternity Coalition (MC).

The breadth and quality of stories collected for 'Great Birth' attest 
to the assistance I received from activists and consumers and friends 
(such as yourself) in identifying possible authors.  I am now asking 
you to assist me to find authors for a new book that I intend to 
compile.  This new book will focus on men's experience of birth.

My original idea for Great Birth was that it would have stories from 
women and men about their experiences.  I received over fifty 
submissions, but only one was written by a man!  As you are aware, men 
are very important at birth.  They can either be supportive of the 
labouring woman, or they can communicate their fear of birth to the 
woman, and make the birth more difficult (and increase the likelihood 
of intervention).  I believe (and research confirms) that much of this 
fear comes from birth being such an alien experience for men.  Men do 
not talk about birth with each other and therefore they do not know 
what to expect.  Their education comes from television, films and 
books.  The little information they may get from pre-natal childbirth 
education courses still tend to focus on the biological aspects of 
birth, and little on 'the experience for men.'  I wish to redress this 
lack of information by publishing a book of birth stories written by 
men for men.

So what would I like from you?

Attached to this letter are Writers Guidelines for the second book, 
seeking assistance from men willing to write their stories.  I would 
greatly appreciate your assistance in sending these guidelines to your 
friends, colleagues, or anyone or any organization that may be 
interested in the project.  I found for the first book that those 
consumers who speak directly to their friends and ask them to 
contribute were most successful in getting women to write their 
stories.  I imagine that this is the best approach for men too.

I want stories that encompass the entire range of births - normal, 
caesarean, VBAC, twins, home, breech etc (and even stillbirth and 
miscarriage), so please don't feel restricted in asking men for their 
help.

If you don't have the time to contact your friends directly, please 
just forward them this email and guidelines.

If you know of other people I should contact, I would appreciate if you 
could let me know.

Thank you so much for considering this request.

With best wishes,



David Vernon





 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boysed/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to