Hi Charlie, you may well find that investigating an alternate PDF
converter is the way to go. For example, do you have access to a PC?
Do you have access to the internet often enough that you could use one
of the many file conversion sites to do the conversions? The
BrailleNote's PDF converter is a nice tool to have, but to be honest
it's just a straight ASCII dump of the text content of a PDF file.
That means you won't see formatting; tables and columns will mess up
the conversion; and no OCR can be performed. Whenever I have access to
a third-party PDF conversion facility, I always choose to use that
instead of the BrailleNote's converter.

I can understand why, purely from a marketing perspective, it makes
sense not to focus too much energy on producing software for the
mPower now that a newer product has been released. I do think it's
admirable in a way that they at least try to maintain the legacy
products for a while, and since the mPower runs an earlier version of
Windows CE than the one we have on the Apex (and since I have been led
to believe that the architecture on the mPower would not support an
operating system upgrade), I can see how there probably are not many
features that can be "retrofitted" from the new product to the legacy
one. I suppose really what Humanware should have done is stop selling
SMAs for mPower units following the release of Keysoft 8.0, but I
guess it's difficult to anticipate these things. And the upgrade cost
is purely based on business logistics. I agree though, that it doesn't
really seem worth it.

Grant

On 04/10/2012, Charlie Smith <robotech8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>

> I really wish that HumanWare had intelligence. Well, enough to care
> about us who aren't made of money, which I think those things at
> humanware may think We are.
>

> The reasons why I'd like the upgrade, are:
>
> 1. I am a global messenger for special olympics New Zealand, and need
> the pdf converter to actually take part in any reading, accessing and
> preparation of presentations;
>
> 2 - I like to read pdf magazines, and some of those are more
> interesting than mp3 audio magazines.
>

> So, if anyone knows how to increase HumanWare's intelligence, contact
> me before 1:10:48 pm New Zealand Standard Time.
>
> Thanks
>

> Charlie.
>
> ___
> Replies to this message will go directly to the sender.
> If your reply would be useful to the list, please send a
> copy to the list as well.
>
> To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
> braillenote-unsubscr...@list.humanware.com
> To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
> http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote

___