No doubt..

________________________________
 From: rsh <rsh_...@rogers.com>
To: BREAD-RECIPE@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [BREAD-RECIPE] Here is a recipe for Ancient-Style Bread

difference is whether or not it is
a leavened bread.

The requirement to prevent yeast
from making the mixture rise at
all is the reason that, when making
Matzo, from the start, when water
is added to the flour, to the finish
of baking is limited to 18 minutes,
so you really have to work fast <grin>...

FWIW

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 06:28:52 -0700 (PDT), Sue Edwards
<berud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here is a recipe for Ancient-Style Bread. Try it!
>Ingredients:
>14 oz. flour
>1 cup of water
>1/2 teaspoon of salt
>Mix the water, flour, and salt together slowly. Then knead the dough and form
>it
>into flat round patties.
>Cover the dough with a cloth and let it sit overnight. The next day, bake it in
>an oven at 350°F for 30 minutes. For an authentic Mesopotamian experience,
>eat the bread with a raw onion!

I will point out that the above recipe is identical to a true French
Bread IF YOU ADD YEAST to the recipe. That is the only difference
between this and French Bread... the deliberate addition of yeast.

You may, in fact, end up with an 'in the air' yeast in your dough. If it
is in your air, it will be incorporated during kneading time and thus
the bread will rise from that natural yeast, instead of from the store
bought bread yeast. It may be better or not, depending on the precise
yeast in your air. IF the dough rises during that 'let it sit overnight'
period, in fact that is exactly what has
happened.

Also, if you were to make this mixture and
immediately rolled it out into thin sheets and
perforated those sheets with a fork or toothed
wheel, immediately baking the result, you would
have Matzo. That is an unleavened bread because
even if there were yeast in the air it would
not have time to impact the flour-water-salt
mixture. It is also, as you can see from the
limited number of ingredients, also an ancient
style bread. The only difference is whether
or not it is a leavened bread.

The requirement to prevent yeast from making
the mixture rise at all is the reason that,
when making Matzo, from the start, when water
is added to the flour, to the finish of
baking is limited to 18 minutes, so you
really have to work fast <grin>...

FWIW