Overnight Swedish Rye Bread Recipe photo by Taste of Home     Be the first
to write a review Rate recipe I like this recipe because it allows me to bake
bread early in the
morning, leaving time for other things. We live in a Scandinavian area,
so this bread hits the spot with family and friends.
This recipe is:
Contest Winning
        * Rate
65    Ingredients
        * 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
        * 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
        * 1 teaspoon sugar
        * 4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
        * 1 cup molasses
        * 1 cup packed brown sugar
        * 1 cup canola oil
        * 1 cup quick-cooking oats
        * 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
        * 1 tablespoon salt
        * 1 teaspoon fennel seed
        * 1 teaspoon aniseed
        * 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
        * 2 cups rye flour
        * 11 to 12 cups all-purpose flour Directions
        * In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; stir in
sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Add milk, molasses, brown sugar, oil, oats,
orange peel, salt, fennel, aniseed, caraway, rye flour and 6 cups of
all-purpose flour. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a
soft but sticky dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place overnight.
        * Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface;
knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Shape into four
loaves. Place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise
until doubled, about 1 hour.
        * Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes. Remove from the pans to cool on wire
racks. Yield: 4 loaves.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 slice) equals 161 calories, 4 g fat (1 g
saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,
3 g protein.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: