  g.. 2 Tbsp salted butter ³
  h.. 2 Tbsp honey
  i.. 1 egg, beaten (use only 2 Tbsp)
  j.. all the starter, from above
  k.. 1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
  l.. ½ tsp Kosher salt 4
  m.. 3 Tbsp butter, melted
  n.. 1/3 c jam, warmed 5
  1.. Yeasted Water On the day before you will make the fantans: in a small
bowl, whisk yeast into water. Please note that before the yeast is added, the
water temperature must be BELOW 120F; yeast begins to die when the temperature
is higher than 120F.
  2.. Starter Put water, yeasted water and flour into a medium sized bowl. Stir
well with a wooden spoon until the mixture is relatively smooth. Cover with a
plate and leave on the counter overnight.
  3.. Fantan dough On the day you will be making the fantans: whisk the flours,
salt, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
  4.. Pour evaporated milk into a small pot. Add butter and honey and heat over
medium heat until butter is almost melted. Remove from the stove and stir to
cool. Allow the mixture to continue cooling until it reaches approximately 110F
(you can also do the baby bottle test on the back of your wrist).
  5.. When the milk mixture has cooled, whisk in egg.
  6.. Add milk mixture and starter to the flour in the large bowl. Stir well
with a wooden spoon.
  7.. Gradually add the rest of the flour (you don't have to use it all) to
create a soft, somewhat sticky dough.
  8.. Kneading Scatter a tiny amount of flour onto the board and turn the dough
out.
  9.. Wash and dry the mixing bowl. (Please do not be tempted to skip this
step.)
  10.. Hand knead until the dough is soft and smooth (about 5 minutes). Try not
to add more flour. Let your dough scraper be your friend to keep the board
clean.
  11.. Proofing Form the dough into a ball and put it in the clean bowl; cover
it with a plate (there is no need to oil the bowl!) Let the dough rise in a
no-draft place at room temperature (or in the oven with only the light turned
on if you want) until it has doubled in size. (1 to 2 hours)
  12.. Shaping Butter the insides of 6 small pyrex bowls and put them onto a
cookie sheet. Set aside. 6
  13.. Lightly dust flour on the board. Turn the dough out and using a rolling
pin, roll it out into a foot square. Brush the rolled out dough with melted
butter.
  14.. Mark off 6 equally sized strips on the square. Cut one strip away and
set it apart from the rest of the buttered piece. Slather warmed jam over all
but that set-aside piece (to ensure that the jam will not be against the sides
of the containers) Cut the jam-slathered piece into 5 equal strips. Stack the
strips on top of each other with the plain strip on top. Cut through this
layered piece to create 6 equal pieces.
  15.. Put each piece sideways into the buttered containers, so the layers are
visible. Fan the layers open. Each container should have six dough pieces with
jam in between each layer.
  16.. Proofing Cover with a clean tea towel followed by a plastic grocery bag
and allow to rise in a draft-free warm area (oven with only the light turned
on) until they double (1 to 2 hours).
  17.. Baking Place the rack on the top shelf (to prevent burning on the
bottoms) and preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes
until they are golden brown. Turn the tray around about half way through to
allow for uneven oven heat. Watch for burning! (These rolls have a high sugar
content.) You might want to turn the temperature down to 350F or even 325F half
way through..
  18.. Remove from oven and put the dishes on a footed rack to cool for ten
minutes. Remove from dishes and put the rolls on the rack to cool for another
20 minutes or so before serving.
Serve the rolls warm - with more jam and butter if you are decadent. And
coffee. Plenty of coffee.

To serve warm rolls after they have cooled completely, turn the oven to 400F
for 5 minutes or so. Turn the oven OFF. Put the rolls in the hot oven directly
on a rack for about ten minutes. If the rolls happen to be is a little stale,
put them into a paper bag first. Spray the bag liberally with water and place
it in the hot oven until the bag is dry (about 10 minutes).

Notes:

1.) Yeast: Normally, I'd use active dry yeast but someone, who wasn't paying
attention, bought the wrong kind of yeast. (No actual finger pointing - suffice
it to say that it's someone whose name begins with E and rhymes with
Delizadufus).

2.) Water: Please do not use water from the hot water tap. Instead, heat the
water in a kettle or microwave (to create lukewarm water, add cold water until
it is the correct temperature - use the baby bottle test on the back of your
wrist. Or. you can use a thermometer.) Please note that before the yeast is
added, the water temperature must be BELOW 120F because yeast begins to die
when the temperature is higher than 120F.

3.) Butter: I wonder about whether to use salted or unsalted butter. I went
through a phase of using only unsalted butter in baking. But unsalted butter
costs twice as much as salted. And I'm adding salt anyway. Call me a penny
pincher but these days, I'm using salted butter.

4.) Salt: You might want to add a little more salt - unless the unsaltiness in
our fantans is due to me using Kosher salt instead of regular salt. I really
should have weighed it. Kosher salt is so much fluffier than regular salt.

5.) Jam: The BBB recipe calls for marmalade. I love the idea of marmalade. And
we do have marmalade on hand. Beautiful Seville orange marmalade that T made
last year. However, we also have a few jars of slightly less successful peach
jam from two years ago. We decided to use that instead.

6.) Baking Dishes: The BBB recipe suggests using muffin tins. I was pretty sure
that with all the butter and jam, there would be overflow. So I used small
pyrex bowls placed on a cookie sheet instead. And I was really glad I did!
There was indeed molten butter and jam on the cookie sheet when the rolls were
done.

~ Enjoy the recipes and bon appettit ~
             Arlette Arthur

<*> Your email settings: