hi!

i'm using dynamips (router/switch emulator) and would like to have an interface
on the host as a link to the 'emulated lab'. with dynamips, one of the host's
interfaces can be used to connect to a port of the 'emulated lab'. dynamips
obviously injects its packets into this interface, and sniffs for packets
directed towards the 'emulated lab'.

now i just have a single physical interface on the host. and i don't want the
lab-traffic to pass thru the physical interface (and productive segment
connected to it).
so i thought hey, let's be clever, just create a bridge. we don't need any
bridge-members (yet), we just want to use it for the dynamips link for now.

after a brctl addbr, i get a bridge-interface - with a mac of 00:00:00:00:00:00.
tried it anyway: it doesn't work (i see arp-requests from the host, i see
arp-replies to the host - which the host obviously simply ignores, most
probably because of the all-zero-mac).
turns out it's also not possible to change the mac - not even to a locally
administered mac.

is there a special way to set the bridge's mac? actually i find it quite
irritating that it's not simply possible to change it just like with any other
interface!?

also i think it might not be wise to treat 00:00:00:00:00:00 special, filter
it, or similar (after all it's a valid global unicast mac - assigned to
xerox...).

regards,

        Chris