On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:45:21PM -0500, The Fool wrote:
> > From: Richard Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > The Fool said:
> >
> > > The real question is what kind of filtering software inserted ">"
> > > before 'From', after my sending and before my recieving.
> >
> > As far as I know, all mail transfer agents do that so that computers
> > using Unix mailboxes don't get confused and think that a leading "From"
> > is a new email.
>
> If all unixices have such bad parsing that they can't tell the difference
> between message headers and message bodies, it's no wonder very few
> outside the high end corporate world use them.

It is more complicated than that. The BSD mbox format has been around
for (I think) around 20 years. I imagine the originator had no idea
how widespread it would become, and just used a simple kludge for the
message delimiter. But now, a lot of programs expect certain behavior,
so changing is difficult. Here are some more details:

http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/content-length.html

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/