----- Original Message -----
From: "J. van Baardwijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: Intellectual output from the Arab World

> Sorry to disappoint you, but it is the other way around.
>
> If both Jews and Arabs are Semitic, than *by definition* the word
> anti-Semitic must mean anti-Jew *and* anti-Arab -- just like
> "anti-American" means "hatred of anything American" and not "only hatred
of
> anything Texan". What the pro-Israel crowd is doing, is ignoring part of
> the meaning of the word because it does not suit their needs.

Let me get this straight.  English is a second language for you and you are
claiming that the definitive source of English (OED) is wrong and you are
right in defining an English word?

So, do you also claim that the catwalk on an oil rig is misdefined because
cats don't walk on it; software is misdefined because it actually isn't
soft or a ware, a miser is not a tightwad because he isn't drunk? Or a
photograph is not a snapshot because there is no gun involved?

If you study the etomology of words, you can see how words evolve and are
defined through usage.

Dan M.