Ritu Ko wrote:

> Dan M. wrote:
>
> > Well, that just shows how much more astute you are than I am.
> >  I guessed he
> > was Irish. :-)
>
> <chuckle>
>
> With a name like Gautam Mukunda?
>
> Nope. But I am not really that astute. Most Indians can take a look at
> that name and tell you about the caste of Gautam's father [and hence,
> Gautam's]. That is one art I have never really picked up - no interest,
> y'see. :)

Actually, I think it would be the caste of Gautam's *grandfather*.  :)

The way it was explained to me how surnames go in India (and you can
correct me if I'm wrong) is that your surname is your father's given
name.

In the US, your surname is your father's surname.

So, if Gautam's father came to the US from India, his surname would be
his father's name.  Since Gautam was born in the US, his surname would
be his father's surname, or his grandfather's name.

        Julia

Diversity In Naming Conventions Maru