From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Alberto Monteiro
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 10:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Startide Rising Timeline

William Taylor wrote:

>>> Their orbits may not have been exactly determined.
>>
>> No - but this is where the Fun lies :-)
>
> Three moons can be fun....

Yep. I suspect any stable three-moon system would force
them to enter a Laplace resonance - which would simplify
the computations of their periods.

> I forget if both smaller moons are inside or outside of the bigger
one.

The books don't have this information, they only mention that,
by apparent size, Loocen is bigger, followed by Torgen.

> With three moons the fun lies in if you're going to have any
> double transits or double partial occulations.

There is a strong evidence that Jijo's "month" starts with
a conjunction of Loocen and Torgen, however I can't
determine if the months uses just Loocen and Torgen, or
if the month uses the three moons in their repetitive
configurations.

BTW, with the Laplace resonance the three moons would
_never_ be seen close in the sky. So, Jijoans could say
something like "when the three moons are full" or
"when the three moons rise" to signify "never" :-)

> Look up in the sky. It's a cosmic Mickey Mouse.

No, it's not - they can't be that close.

Alberto Monteiro