I suppose it's because we're eternal optimists.

Well, no, actually.  IMO, the purpose of any sort of governance is not
behavior modification, but to create appropriate consequences for
anti-social behavior.  Those may seem to be the same thing, but done well,
they're not.

I must say, though, that I am terribly tempted to propose a deal in which
all parties would abandon any attempts to change others' behavior around
here.  But I'm not at all confident that we really know how to see and act
upon such boundaries.

Nick