On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:35:47AM -0500, Kevin Tarr wrote:
> In 97-98 this may have been true about Russia, but isn't Russia much better
> now? The hostage debacle isn't a good example, but I think recently Russia
> is starting to work. It hasn't failed.
>
> In the meantime, China has stayed the same, or at least not improved.

I think it was mostly referring to the economy, wasn't it? It would be
hard to measure and compare standard of living between Russia and China,
I guess.

Anyway, China's GDP is groing at about 7.8% now, and is projected to
grow at 7.4% next year, according to the Economist. Russia's GDP is
growing at 4.0% now, and projected to grow at 4.2% next year.

So, they both look to be doing okay (China's GDP numbers are probably
less reliable than Russia's). But a large part of China's GDP is
manufacturing, whereas Russia is exporting a lot of oil. I'd say the
manufacturing is a better long-term way to improve an economy. But time
will tell.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/