This was sent to me yesterday as a true story, but
someone I forwarded it to replied that it was an urban
legend, and the 'real' Neiman Marcus cookie recipe,
which they included, was different. Given the recently
expressed list desire for chocolate chip cookies, I
thought I'd pass along both.

'With Cookies and Justice For All' Maru

>>NEIMAN MARCUS STORY
>>A little background: Neiman-Marcus, if you don't
know
>>already, is a very expensive store; i.e., they sell
>>your typical $8.00 T-shirt for $50.00.
>>
>>My daughter and I had just finished a salad at a
>>Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas, and we decided to have
>a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie
>>lovers, we decided to try the Neiman-Marcus cookie.
>>It was so excellent that I asked if they would give
>me the recipe, and the waitress said with a small
>frown, "I'm afraid not, but you can buy the recipe."
> Well, I asked
>>how much, and she responded, "Only two fifty--it's a
>>great deal!" I agreed to that, and told her to just
>>add it to my tab... Thirty days later, I received my
>>VISA statement, and the Neiman-Marcus charge was
>>$285.00! ...As I glanced at the bottom of the
>statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe-$250.00". That was
>outrageous! I
>>called Neiman's Accounting Department and told them
>>the waitress said it was "two fifty", which clearly
>>does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any
>>reasonable interpretation of the phrase.
> Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would not
>refund my money...I threatened to report
>>them to the Better Business Bureau and the Texas
>>Attorney General's office for engaging in fraud... I
>just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm
>going to have
>>$250 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to
>see to it that every cookie lover in the United
States
>>with an e-mail account has a $250 cookie recipe from
>>Neiman-Marcus...for free...So here it is! Please,
> please, please pass it on to everyone you can
>possibly think of. I paid $250 for this, and I don't
>want Neiman-Marcus to EVER make another penny off of
> this recipe!
>>
> >>NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES (Recipe may be halved)
> >>
> >>2 cups butter
> >>24 oz.chocolate chips
> >>4 cups flour
> >>2 cups brown sugar
> >>2 tsp. soda
> >>1 tsp. salt
> >>2 cups sugar
> >>1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
> >>5 cups blended oatmeal
> >>4 eggs
> >>2 tsp. baking powder
> >>2 tsp. vanilla
> >>3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
> >>
> >>Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine
> >>powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs
> and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt,
> >>baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips,
> Hershey Bar, and nuts. Roll into balls, and place
two
> inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes
>at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

> >>Ride free, citizens!

>From the Neiman's site:
>NM Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
>
>An urban myth is a modern folk tale, its origins
unknown, its believability enhanced simply by the
frequency with which it is repeated. Our signature
>chocolate chip cookie is the subject of one such
myth. If you haven't heard the story, we won't
perpetuate it here. If you have, the recipe below
>should serve to refute it. Copy it, print it out,
pass it along to friends and family. It's a terrific
recipe. And it's absolutely free.
Ingredients
>    1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
>    1 cup brown sugar
>    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
>    1 egg
>    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
>    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
>    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
>    1/2 teaspoon salt
>    1-3/4 cups flour
>    1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, slightly

           crushed
>    8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
>
>Directions
>  Cream the butter with the sugars until fluffy.
>  Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract.
>  Combine the dry ingredients and beat into the
     butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
>  Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased cookie
     sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes,
     or 10 to 12 minutes for a crispier cookie.