At 01:55 PM 11/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
At 08:58 AM 11/2/2002 -0500 Kevin Tarr wrote:
>>Maybe you can explain something to me that I've never understood. What
>>is the difference between a Township and a Burough/Village/Town? Both
>>in terms of the definition, as well as the practical matters that it
>>entails to those who live there.

A borough or village are the two most common forms of subgrouping of a
township.    A towniship generally encompasses a broad geographical area,
with both rural and highly developed areas, and will usually provide an
array of public services.  The borough or village, however, will be a very
compact, very highly developed center of human activity, and will usually
provide an additional level of services to the citizens.

JDG
Where's my part? :-)

A borough has it's own specific governing body, a village doesn't. A township and a borough do not exist in the same set, you are either in one or the other. A borough can be completely surrounded by one township, but it isn't a part of it. All villages ARE in a township, a part of the township, but of course a township doesn't have to have any villages.

bor·ough Pronunciation Key (būr, br)
n.

1. A self-governing incorporated town in some U.S. states, such as New Jersey.
2. One of the five administrative units of New York City.
3. A civil division of the state of Alaska that is the equivalent of a county in most other U.S. states.
4. Chiefly British.
1. A town having a municipal corporation and certain rights, such as self-government.
2. A town that sends a representative to Parliament.
5. A medieval group of fortified houses that formed a town having special privileges and rights.

vil·lage Pronunciation Key (vlj)
n.

1. A small group of dwellings in a rural area, usually ranking in size between a hamlet and a town.
2. In some U.S. states, an incorporated community smaller in population than a town.
3. The inhabitants of a village; villagers.
4. A group of bird or animal habitations suggesting a village.

town·ship Pronunciation Key (tounshp)
n. Abbr. Twp. or Tp. or T

1. A subdivision of a county in most northeast and Midwest U.S. states, having the status of a unit of local government with varying governmental powers.
2. A public land surveying unit of 36 sections or 36 square miles.
3. An ancient administrative division of a large parish in England.
4. A racially segregated area in South Africa established by the government as a residence for people of color.

In PA: Def #1 for borough, #1 for village, #1 for township

Kevin T.
We are #1