Nick wrote:
COs have big battery backups and generators with many days of fuel. Bearing
in mind that among othing things, the 911 emergency phone system depends on
them, they've been required for a long time to have reliable emergency
power. And their power needs are relatively low, at least compared with the
typical office or factory. Furthermore, I believe that they always have
incoming power from at least two grids, so that a failure on one grid
doesn't force them to switch to backup power. Thus, only a widespread power
failure will cause the battery and generator system to go into action.
This past winter there was a big ice storm that hit Kansas City and over a quarter of a million people were without power. We didn't have electricity for about four days due to power lines being taken out by falling ice-coated tree branches, but we never lost use of our phone.

I'm *still* not exactly sure how that happened...

Reggie Bautista
GSV If the wires were down...