Doug answered:

And another only vaguely related question - regarding his colour - would coming from a Jamaican family be seen as the same as coming from, say, a Louisana African American family? I have no idea how West Indian blacks are seen in the US.

I don't think it would make any difference at all. Most of the people to whom his color would make a difference probably couldn't find either place on the map anyway.

lol

I was thinking (and expecting everyone to have really long range telepathy) of the effect on black voters. Could he have reasonably expected a big turn out from the African American voters to vote just to put a black man in the office? I'm guessing that in America it is just as important to get your supporters to the booths as it is get supporters (whereas the first part happens automatically in Australia).

Cheers
Russell C.