Amusing title and a pretty good information piece. I've been hearing a
startling amount about various aspects of this issue from various sources
for the past month or so... opinions?

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpcoc143002251nov14,0,7803300.column
?coll=ny%2Dviewpoints%2Dheadlines

White House Wages Stealth War on Condoms
Marie Cocco
November 14, 2002

The government is waging a covert war on condoms.

The start of hostilities wasn't announced from the Oval Office. Nor was
it put to a dramatic vote in the Congress.

This is a guerilla war. The insurgents inch forward with determined
steadiness, and a certain stealth.

A fact sheet on the effectiveness of condoms in preventing the
transmission of the AIDS virus has disappeared from the Centers for
Disease Control Web site. According to lawmakers who have protested, the
missing sheet was based on public health data showing that "latex
condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in
preventing transmission of HIV" and other sexually transmitted diseases.
In its place is a notice: "Being revised."

A separate CDC listing of sex-education "Programs that Work," meant to
give local officials information on scientifically proven methods of
reducing risky teen sexual behavior, also has vanished. The list was
created at the request of schools that wanted "credible evidence of
effectiveness" as they selected sex-education programs, lawmakers say.

President George W. Bush has begun appointing critics of condoms to a
presidential advisory panel on AIDS. They include social conservatives
who question the international scientific consensus that condoms are
highly effective in AIDS prevention. Instead, they emphasize failure
rates from slippage, breakage and not using condoms every time.

"The only 100 percent effective way to avoid nonmarital pregnancy and STD
infection is to avoid sexual activity outside a mutually faithful,
lifelong relationship - marriage," says the Texas-based Medical Institute
for Sexual Health. The group's founder, Dr. Joe S. McIlhaney, Jr., now
sits on the presidential AIDS panel.

Asked in an interview if people who aren't monogamous should use condoms,
McIlhaney said, "That's very simplistic and has been proven, so far, not
to be very effective."

Government audits of AIDS activist groups began after protesters
disrupted remarks by Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson
at a conference in Barcelona. Conservatives in Congress now have called
for expanding the audits to include such groups as the Sexuality
Information and Education Council of the United States, a 38-year-old
organization that assists schools and health departments with AIDS and
sex-education programs. The conservatives say they are wary that
government funds may improperly be used to lobby against the
administration's favored abstinence-only programs on teen sex.

The groups say their books are open. "It's an intimidation tactic," said
Tamara Kreinin, president of the sexuality information group.

Abstinence-only programs, which promote sexual abstinence and do not
provide information on contraception or AIDS prevention, are the
administration's pet projects, slated for more and more funding every
year. So far, studies on their effectiveness are incomplete or
inconclusive.

"There is no documentation of success with this material," said Rep. Lois
Capps (D-Calif.), a former school nurse who has run programs for pregnant
teens and adolescent parents.
Last spring, Capps tried to get the House Commerce Committee to agree
that the government should fund only "medically and scientifically
accurate" sex-ed programs. She failed, by a committee vote of 31-19, that
mostly broke on party lines. The congressional preference, apparently, is
for the medically and scientifically inaccurate.

HHS officials did not return several phone calls seeking comment. White
House spokesman Scott McClellan would not answer when asked if the
president believes using condoms prevents transmission of the AIDS virus.
He refused to say whether the president thinks public health officials
should promote their use.

"When it comes to combating HIV, we ought to be funding programs that
work," McClellan said.
In the early days of the AIDS epidemic, when no one dared speak of what
was then unspeakable, activist groups coined a phrase: Silence equals
death.

Two decades later, our own government has embarked on a campaign that
begs for its own slogan: Disinformation is deadly.

Copyright © 2002, Newsday, Inc.

----
"Wakey, wakey. I'm here with your weather report
for the evening. I see rain, lightning, thunder,
and your head nailed to that wall over there if you
don't tell me what my friend and I need to know."
                         -- Marcus, Babylon 5