> Would you accept that places like Yale, Princeton
> and  Harvard are OK
> schools? Or do they all pale compared to old schools
> like Oxford?
>
> Dan M.

If they do, you'd have to be prety convincing, because
I decided not to go to Oxford for graduate study
because American universities universally believe
that, were it in the US, it wouldn't even crack the
top 10 - indeed, the situation is so bad that had I
decided to get a PhD from Oxford, I almost certainly
would have had to get a second one from an American
school if I wanted an academic job.

Of course, as a conservative, my odds of actually
getting an academic job are essentially zero, but
that's the way these things work nowadays...

Gautam