(Dee writes- not sure if the server is not gobbling AOL any more or
"not using" the horrible AOL quoting system allows posts through, but
at least we are back in business.  Sorry for the lack of carrot quoting.)

Kevin wrote-
Why is plaster cool? It's coming out, it has too. I did a look last night,
the first time I could, there is nothing between the inside and outside
walls that I could see. Now I could blow in insulation and keep the
plaster, but there are so many other things that need done, why bother? The
house was built before electric, most rooms have one outlet, only the
living room has two. Plus the mis-mash of products on the walls: this room
has wood paneling and brick around the wood stove location. (No wood stove
installed but I hope it's fire brick). The kitchen has some kind of
paneling half way up the walls, and plaster above, with a nice frilly
border of black eyed susans at the top. The front room has some kind of
wall board on one wall and plaster on the rest. All the ceilings have
armstrong ceiling tiles, stapled right to the plaster. In some places they
have conveniently fallen. For the insulation and drywall my material costs
will be $800, and I may make some connections in the next two weeks to get
better prices. Even if I spend 5k, I still be way ahead doing it right once.

Then it's the back deck, then the garage if I can figure out a way to drive
onto my lot, then the pool, then the outdoor hot tub, then the sauna, then
I die.

Or I could get married and have kids and have no money for any of it with
her bitching every week about the dumpy old house. (But I'd be much happier
anyway I'm sure)

Kevin T.
I just have to get off my lazy butt and do it. (after the holidays and
playoffs class)

*************************************

Dee writes-
If your plaster is in good shape you can do pretty well with screws/molly
bolts.
I also have/like the high ceilings, but the specs of the rooms mean different
things
for different rooms.  The kitchen here is small and the high ceilings needed
something to bring them "in proportion".  In my case I used a watercolor
wallpaper,
but could have just as easily used a darker color to do the same thing.  Nice
broad molding/moulding could also bring the appearance of the ceiling down
(I have seen fishing borders with tackle boxes etc if you feel the need to be
"not to frilly".)  In several of the rooms I have had some people put drywall
over
the plaster (some of this was due to chunks of the plaster coming away from
the
lathe during roofing).  I would love to do a few more rooms, but my
drywalling
ability is as poor as my skil saw use.  (I do rec 1/2inch/1cm drywall just as
a suggestion
if you go over the plaster).  The guys at the paint store were originally
worried about
my removal of plaster in some areas due to asbestos scares, but they then
realized
this house was built approx 1900 and that was before asbestos was invented
(or
so they say).  The stairwell I took all the way down to the lathe and then
the
carpenter put up drywall since I could not afford to lose the 1inch/2cm of
space for
getting furniture up/down the stairs.

I have to agree ICK on the ceiling tiles and if you drywall it right once it
will be a plus.
I replastered almost a whole room and I still want drywalling lessons for
christmas
(LOL, back to the original post- drywall not diamonds).  I also had limited
sockets
in several of the rooms (one with a pull chain light still)- luckily there is
a guy that works
on old houses and every room now has minumum 2 outlests, wall switches and
even a light in my closet.  Highly recommended.

On another more ironic note- I am 10 years into my three year plan.  I hope
you
fair better.