----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Arnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 12:56 PM
Subject: RE: The Secret of How Microsoft Stays on Top

[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
> > Behalf Of Dan Minette

> > Originally, Gate's position was a market innovation.  He did indeed
> > determine what people were willing to pay for and produced it.
>
> I don't think Microsoft has ever really distinguished itself with
invention.
> DOS, which launched the company as we know it today, was essentially an
> acquisition.

Right.  I was giving him the benefit of the doubt in seeing the market
potential for DOS.  The wife of the guy who wrote it didn't see the market.
So, he bought it, for $3k IIRC, and then made millions on it from IBM.

>Windows was a Mac knock-off on top of DOS.  Bill has always
> focused on market share, not innovation.  And that's where his success
comes
> from, IMO.

Right.  But I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on that too.  Indeed,
most financial sucess stories are like that.  I thought that's what you
were talking about when you discussed market innovation.